Saturday, February 24, 2018

Death Star Space Station Playset

 The Death Star Space Station was a full 20 inches tall, with four floors on which one could recreate a whole range of exciting Star Wars scenes. It had a really cool looking gun mount on its top level, a retractable bridge in its middle portion, an elevator, even a working trash compactor component. It even included a Dianoga!
This playset came out in 1978 and 1979. I remember going to a mom and pop toy store in either 1983 or 1984 and seeing this for sale. I totally wanted it, so I put it on layaway. I was only getting a weekly allowance so it took several weeks to finally pay for this. At one point I actually begged my mom to pay for it but she refused. Harumpf! I finally finished paying for it and was so happy to take it home. It has been in my collection ever since. 
Still have the hard to find rope. 
The Dianoga is still in the trash compactor waiting for victims to drag under the gross water! Unfortunately, I no longer have the foam trash because they totally degraded. I tried to protect the foam by putting them in a plastic bag but somehow the bag got a hole in it and there went the foam. Oh well!
The put the instruction sheet and the Kenner "We Really Do Care!" slip in a frame and put it on my wall. Looks great!!!
I was being a total dork and forgot to include the large gun in the photoshoot, but I still have that too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment