Thursday, March 29, 2018

Vintage "Battle Damaged" X-Wing Fighter Vehicle


In 1983, Kenner decide to rerelease one of their most popular Star Wars toys, the X-Wing Fighter vehicle. What they came up with was the  "Battle Damaged" X-Wing. A sheet of "battle damage" decals was included with the toy, so that kids could apply them to their X-Wings and thereby make them look more realistic. 
It's interesting that the decal sheet is dated 1978. As can be seen in this picture, I decided to only use one of the decals because I wanted to be sure that I liked it. Well, I put it on and it looked okay, but I decided to just leave it at one because all of those battle damage decals on the X-Wing would have been just stupid looking. There is no way of removing the decal without destroying the basic decal for the vehicle, so I had to leave it. 

The newer X-Wing also differed from its earlier counterpart in terms of coloration (it was gray rather than white), tinted canopy (as opposed to clear) and black engine well inserts (which had been white on the original toy). 



Apparently, since it was issued in the final year of the Empire Strikes Back run, the toy was initially released in an ESB box. I don't remember seeing it in an ESB box.
I took this instruction sheet and framed it. Since, the instruction sheets have become more valuable, I have decided to take really good care of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment